State Tax Free FilingPosted by Cap on April 14, 2010 |
Wondering if there are options to free eFile for your state taxes? If you qualify and your state is in the program, you may be eligible for free state tax filing online from various tax preparation software and companies.
Since April 15 is pretty much one day away, your best bet and fastest option would be to use TurboTax’s Freedom Edition. With TurboTax’s Freedom Edition, you can receive free federal eFile along with state free file (if your state participates in the Free File Alliance).
Do you qualify for State Free Tax Filing?
- If you make $31,000 or less in adjusted gross income for 2009 or
- Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit
- Active Duty in Military during 2009 with adjusted gross income of less than $57,000
- States that qualifies: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, and West Virgina.
- If your state is not listed but you meet one of the 3 criteria above, you can still get a large discount on your state tax filing for $14.95 (vs. regular price of $30.95).
If you don’t meet the requirements above, unfortunately you won’t be able to get free state tax online filing. Having said that, you can still easily file your federal tax return for free online through Turbo Tax’s Online Free Edition — especially if you have a simple tax return. As mentioned, the state tax filing would set you back $30.95.
2 Comments to “State Tax Free Filing”
Leave a Comment
« Earned Income Tax Credit: Do I Qualify?